See You In Hell!

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Lent--not the past tense verb, the season

Okay, so I have decided to give up a few things for Lent. No really! I was talking to a friend of mine who is giving up meat and the way he spoke about it made me think that challenging myself to give up something I like is a really neat idea. And there is more motivation to not cave in b/c it's about thinking how others in the world may have it a lot worse than you and sacrificing something gives you a sense of compassion or something. I'm not explaining it well, but it feels good to be doing this. I'm giving up baked sweets (donuts,cakes, brownies etc.) which I grab when they are around at work--which is often. And I'm giving up road rage. Oddly the latter has been a little harder. Mind you this is only day 3 of lent. Anyway, it's an interesting challenge and I hope to change some of my bad habits. When I think about chucking it, I feel like a cop out b/c there are people starving in the world and I'm bemoaning the loss of a donut?! I don't think so. It's helping me get my perspective on straight so I don't get down in the dumps about stupid little things that really don't matter. Plus, I think there are rules about Lent that say you can have the stuff you gave up on Sundays or something. I'm gonna look into that...

5 Comments:

Blogger kari said...

good job, my amycita! here's my deal with lent: if i give up one thing (and it doesn't even have to be the season of lent), i kind of overdo it on other things...i.e., i've given up cigarettes for a month now and therefore i can drink as much sugary coca-cola as i want! woo hooo! it's kind of like a "get out of jail free" card. as if there is only enough will power to go around and if my diet gets the short end of the stick, fuck it, i'll deal with that mess later.
on the topic of brownies: they rock and would be hard to give up. maybe pretend the brownies are made out of human flesh and they won't seem so tasty then.
on the topic of road rage: remember that all those fucking morons on the road deserve your rage, but have they really earned your rage? keep that rage for something better! like, for instance, when you are raging against the machine.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 11:41:00 PM PST

 
Blogger amycita said...

I have already noticed my propensity to replace brownies and cookies with other things. Like wine. I LOVE Yellow Tail Shiraz. mmmm, 6 dollars and 99 cents of winey goodness! It's interesting how much any little stress event makes me want a cookie or something. Not to worry, I'm not drinking crazily, I just enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or after it since there is no yummy dessert or anything. And dear god! Giving up cigarettes kicks my brownie-forsaking butt! Puhleeze! That is the hardest thing ever. You deserve much laud and many printable certificates. Maybe I'll make up a few and email them or post them if I can figure out how to post them...again, I'm not the savviest (sp?) computer chica.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 5:53:00 PM PST

 
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

I think I'll give up dismembering hitch-hikers and burying them in the crawl space.
Oh, that and fried foods.

Hi, I'm Jege. My pet peeves are nuclear war and people who frown.

Monday, February 14, 2005 at 8:18:00 AM PST

 
Blogger dawn said...

Man, I hate Lent. My husband gives up all his favorite things and does it make him a better person? Not really. Does it make him a complete ass to live with? Yup. Why? 40 days of caffeine headaches, no alcohol and no chocolate makes for one cranky guy.

Monday, February 14, 2005 at 11:14:00 AM PST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work with a guy who gave up chips for Lent. "What's the significance of that?," I asked. "I just really like chips," he said. Sigh. I just can't imagine god (or anyone else for that matter) caring whether or not he ate chips. If I ever get promoted to god, you can all have chips all the time without interruption. Try to watch your cholesterol, though.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 7:38:00 AM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home