See You In Hell!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

what are your strange fridge habits?

I'll start the list off:

  • We keep beer in the crispers.
  • My husband once cooked and ate a ham that he had in his freezer SIX YEARS after the expiration date. For him, food has no expiration date; when it goes in the fridge, time stands still. I, on the other hand, will throw away anything that is over a week old, regardless of how it looks or smells. As you can probably guess, this creates a great deal of conflict in our house. My husband, whose attitudes towards wasting food are on par with someone who lived through the great depression, will fight me tooth & nail over emptying out the week-old leftovers from the tupperware. I will lose, and the tupperware will sit in the fridge for another month or two, untouched, & sprouting a thick beard of mold. Then, when the hubby isnt around, I don a hazmat suit, grab the tupperware-gone-petri dish with a pair of salad tongs, and throw the whole mess away.
  • For my entire married life, there has been a jar of capers in the fridge. Neither of us knows where it came from. We even brought it with us when we moved into our new house in 2005.

6 Comments:

Blogger eM said...

-We have on average, about 20+ condiments in our fridge at all times - 3 types of hot sauce, 7+ salad dressings and many other random sauces. Even when we have no actual food, our fridge is NEVER empty.

-When I lived with Vanilla K, we would both constantly buy lots of produce and as we were pizza-eating college students, we never ate it all and every few weeks would do the exploratory clean and throw away countless containers and bags of very furry items. We never stopped buying produce though.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 1:33:00 PM PST

 
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

I STILL do that with produce!!! I buy it with good intentions, then one week later remember it, but am then too afraid to eat it so I toss it. :(

Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 1:36:00 PM PST

 
Blogger Mike Lopez said...

I have more film stored in my fridge than most non-professional camera stores now that everything is digital.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 2:12:00 PM PST

 
Blogger kari said...

i was WONDERING where i had left my capers! sheesh! i'll need to get those from you sometime.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 9:56:00 PM PST

 
Blogger Blandwagon said...

That's nothing. I've had a coconut sitting on the middle shelf of the pantry since 2004. Frankly I'm afraid to touch it in case it explodes.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 11:11:00 PM PST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember how for St. Nick's day we sometimes got oranges? I stored those in my sock drawer as a girl for some unknown reason. The bright green mold contrasted nicely with the orange rind after a week or so... Now we leave oranges in the fridge FOREVER and they NEVER mold. They aren't necessarily tasty per se, but the citric acid and chilly temp keep the crusty patina off of em pretty good!
-Amycita (I just can't freakin' get it to recognize my freaking username b/c it has changed ownership from hotmail to google to blogger to what-the-freak-ever and I don't even know if I have a new log in)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 5:06:00 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home