See You In Hell!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Paging Mr. Sushi....

And now, a random story from my static-filled, constantly crashing memory banks.

Burma, 1936 (HA! No, actually it was Albuquerque, 1996).
My coworkers and I had decided to phone in our lunch order to Mr. Sushi, one of the few sushi joints in ABQ at that time. My friend, Thea, volunteered to do it because she professed to know the phone number by heart. What follows is a transcript of that phone call:

The Presumed Mr. Sushi: Hello?

Thea: Hi, is this Mr. Sushi?

The (incorrectly)Presumed Mr. Sushi: (pause) Um, noooooo. This is Doug.

Thea: OH MY GOD! I'M SORRY!!!!! (slamming down the phone and turning every derivative of the color red, including vermilion).

We laughed our asses off for about the next hour, and ended up eating ice cream for lunch at DQ. Then we spent the next week calling Thea up at odd hours and asking to speak to Mr. Sushi:

"Hi! Is Mr. Sushi available?"

"Good afternoon! May I please speak with the raw fish of the house?"

"This is the lab calling with Mr. Sushi's test results"

and so on.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

Oh Thomas, Mr. Sushi is an abtract concept, not a dude.
When it comes right down to it, arent we ALL Mr. Sushi?

Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 10:52:00 AM PDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad Schmidt is not Mr. Sushi. Chad Schmidt is only Chad Schmidt.

Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 11:27:00 AM PDT

 
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

You know, chicks really hate it when dudes constantly refer to themselves in the third person. Just so you know.

Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 1:03:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Jim V said...

COOK YOUR FOOD LADIES!!!!

Sushi is nasty. Ick. Hurl. Ugh. It is a dead animal that has not been cooked. Pack as much rice around you like, it's still a dead fish that no one bothered to take the time to cook.

Okay, I admit it. I had a nasty allergic reaction to some undercooked shrimp once. So I'm a little tainted in my analysis.

But I'm still right.

Now, get me some deep fried sushi and a sack of potato chips, and I'm all over it. Mmmmm... fried sushi. Is that an oxymoron when translated into Japanese?

Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 1:30:00 PM PDT

 
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

Fried sushi....I think that's called a "Hiroshima".

OK, OK, I'm sorry about that comment. That was in extremely bad taste, even for me. BAD Jege!! BAD!!!!

Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 3:24:00 PM PDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad Schmidt only eats sushi because he hates fish so much.

Friday, September 2, 2005 at 4:44:00 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home